Philadelphia F-1 Student Visa Lawyer
Foreign students who attend an English Language Program or academic program at an American college or university can obtain an F-1 visa, also known as a student visa. Students who obtain an F-1 visa must maintain a minimum course load to keep their status as a full-time student. An F-1 visa also allows students to remain in the United States for up to sixty days upon completion of their academic program. Students who wish to remain longer for work purposes must obtain approval from the Optional Practical Training Program. Our Philadelphia F-1 student visa lawyer can help you obtain status, and keep it after graduation.
Eligibility Requirements for an F-1 Visa
There are many eligibility requirements that must be met before someone can obtain an F-1 visa. These requirements are as follows:
- Students must study at a college or university that is approved by SEVP Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Students must be enrolled for a full academic term as a full-time student at an educational institution
- Students must meet the English language proficiency score of the educational institution they are attending, or they must enroll in a course that will improve their proficiency
- Students must show evidence that they have sufficient funds to finance their studies and their living expenses while staying in the country
- A student’s passport must be valid for a minimum of six months once the educational program is completed
How to Apply for an F-1 Visa
Depending on the processing times at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the application process for an F-1 visa can take anywhere between six to eight months. There are many steps that must be taken during this time, and they include:
- Get accepted into a SEVP-certified college or university
- Review the I-20 form you received after being accepted into a college or university
- Sign the I-20 form after reviewing it carefully to ensure there are no errors
- Retain your I-20 form, as you will need it to enter the United States
- Pay the fee, which is approximately $500 and keep the fee receipt, as you will need to bring it to your visa interview
- Submit a DS-160 visa application form, which is required for all international students, and keep your confirmation as you will need it during your visa interview
- Schedule and attend your visa interview
It is always best to work with a Philadelphia F-1 students visa lawyer before you even begin the process of applying. A lawyer can help you throughout the necessary steps and give you the best chance of obtaining your student visa.
Call Our F-1 Students Visa Lawyer in Philadelphia for Help with the Process
If you wish to enter the United States to study, our Philadelphia F-1 students visa lawyer at Ellenberg Law Group can advise you of your options and the documentation needed to strengthen your chances of approval. Call us now at 215-790-1682 or reach out to us online to schedule a free consultation with our seasoned attorney.