Close Menu
Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer > Philadelphia Visitor & Tourist Visas Lawyer

Philadelphia Visitor & Tourist Visas Lawyer

At Ellenberg Law Group, we work closely with non-citizens hoping to visit our country. Depending on where you live, the visa application process could be easy, or it might involve more steps. We can discuss what to expect and the documents you need. If you have a question, or if you need help with a visa issue, contact our Philadelphia visitor & tourist visas lawyers today.

Can You Visit the United States?

The United States welcomes millions of people to our shores every year. In fact, the U.S. is one of the most popular destinations for tourists and visitors doing business. Like all countries, the U.S. closely watches its borders and ports of entry and requires proper credentials before officials will admit a visitor. A visa is one necessary credential.

Generally, you can seek a business or tourism visa for a short stay in the United States if you are coming for a valid reason.

Business (B-1 visa)

Short-term business is conducted all the time in the U.S. You might use a B-1 visa to come and:

  • Attend a conference
  • Negotiate a contract
  • Consult with your business associates
  • Settle an estate

For example, if your mother lived in the U.S. and had property here, you might come on a B-1 visa to perform important estate functions. Likewise, if you are trying to negotiate a contract with a business vendor, you can seek a B-1 visa to come for that purpose.

However, you can’t use a B-1 visa for:

  • Employment
  • Paid performances, such as performing in a concert or sporting event
  • Work as a foreign journalist

If you hope to do any of the above, you should consult and find an appropriate visa. Using a B-1 visa can create problems later if you hope to re-enter the U.S. again or ever apply for a green card.

Tourist (B-2 visa)

Millions of people come to the U.S. on holiday or to visit people they know. A B-2 visa will get you admission into the U.S. for these purposes. You can use a tourist visa to:

  • Sightsee
  • Visit friends and family
  • Receive medical treatment
  • Participate in amateur events
  • Take a short recreational course
  • Participate in social events

However, you can’t use a B-2 visa to settle permanently in the U.S. or study towards a degree in a college or vocational school. Other visas exist for that.

Both B-1 and B-2 visas are typically good for six months. If you hope to extend your stay, realize that approval is possible but not automatic. You should meet with an attorney to discuss any questions or concerns.

Get the Legal Help You Need

Ellenberg Law Group is proud to help hundreds of people seek authorization to visit the United States. If you are interested in a visitor or tourist visa, or if you want to discuss what visa to request, contact us. A Philadelphia visitor & tourist visas lawyer can review your goals and help you determine the best way to seek entry into the United States.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Request Your Free Consultation

The solutions to your legal needs start with a free consultation so we can understand your situation and let you know your options. Fill out the form below, and a representative from our office will contact you to set a convenient time for you to meet with one of our attorneys.

* All Contact Form Fields are Required

By submitting this form I acknowledge that contacting Ellenberg Law Group, P.C., through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
Contact Form Tab