Close Menu
Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer > Philadelphia M-1 Vocational Student Visa Lawyer

Philadelphia M-1 Vocational Student Visa Lawyer

Students who wish to enter the United States to study have many options. The two most common of these are F-1 visas and M-1 visas. M-1 visas are reserved for individuals who want to pursue vocational or non-academic studies, with the exception of language training, within the United States. A vocational program is one offered by a post-secondary institution that provides technical skills and occupational education to perform certain aspects of a particular employment position. Below, our Philadelphia M-1 vocational student visa lawyer outlines the qualifications for this type of student visa and more.

Eligibility Requirements for an M-1 Visa

In order to be eligible for an M-1 visa, foreign students must prove the following:

  • They carry legitimate student status with non-immigrant intent
  • They are considered a permanent resident in their home county and have no intention of abandoning that residence
  • They have been accepted for study at a recognized non-academic or vocational institution
  • They are proficient in the English language
  • They have sufficient finances to support themselves while they attend school and live in the United States
  • They will be enrolled as a full-time student

Differences Between M-1 Visas and F-1 Visas

M-1 visas and F-1 visas are both available to individuals who wish to study in the United States. However, there are important differences between the two. The first is that when a student carries an F-1 visa, they can reduce their course load for medical purposes as long as they obtain the permission of the DSO and the reduced course load does not exceed 12 months. M-1 visa holders can also reduce their course load for medical purposes, but the reduction can only be for five months.

An F-1 visa also allows foreign nationals to remain in the United States until they have completed their program of study, and they do not require a formal extension. With an M-1 visa, individuals are only admitted for the length of time necessary to complete their program of study and extensions are only allowed for a maximum of three years.

Both F-1 visa holders and M-1 visa holders can transfer schools, but the options are much more limited with M-1 status. In these instances, students can only transfer to a different school within the first five months of study. Even then, a transfer is only possible if it is needed due to circumstances beyond the student’s control.

The above are just a few differences between an M-1 and F-1 visa. A Philadelphia M-1 visa lawyer can explain your options and help determine which one is right for you.

Get Help from Our M-1 Vocational Students Lawyer in Philadelphia

At Ellenberg Law Group, our Philadelphia M-1 vocational students lawyer provides the compassionate, yet aggressive, legal representation you need when going through the application process. Call us now at 215-790-1682 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation and to learn more about how we can help.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Request Your Free Consultation

The solutions to your legal needs start with a free consultation so we can understand your situation and let you know your options. Fill out the form below, and a representative from our office will contact you to set a convenient time for you to meet with one of our attorneys.

* All Contact Form Fields are Required

By submitting this form I acknowledge that contacting Ellenberg Law Group, P.C., through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
Contact Form Tab