Close Menu
Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer > Philadelphia J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Lawyer

Philadelphia J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Lawyer

J-1 visas are available for foreign individuals through the Exchange Visitor Program. The sole purpose of these visas is to allow someone to engage in academic study, gain experience, or contribute to research within the United States. Keeping this in mind, these visas are available to a broad range of foreign nationals, including scholars, students, teachers, researchers, experts, business trainers, camp counselors, medical interns, and aux pairs. Throughout the duration of their stay in America, applicants must maintain residence in their home country.

J-1 visa applicants must be sponsored by certain individuals or entities. These entities must already be designated as eligible under the Exchange Visitor Program, and they must have already been given a designated program number.

The Two-Year Residency Requirement

Prior to obtaining an L or H visa for permanent or non-immigrant residency, J-1 visa holders must satisfy the two-year residency requirement once their visit in the United States is complete. Under this requirement, J-1 visa carriers are sometimes required to live in their home country, or any other country they last lived in, for at least two years before they can obtain a waiver for this requirement.

In the majority of cases, any foreign national who worked or studied in a field that appears on the Skill List for their home country, a list maintained by the Department of State, will have to meet this requirement. Also, foreign nationals who received funding from their home country or from the United States government will most likely have to fulfill the two-year residency requirement.

Duration of J-1 Visas

The length of time a person can stay in the United States while holding an J-1 visa will fully depend on their classification within the Exchange Visitor Program. The different durations of J-1 visas are as follows:

  • Students attending secondary school can stay on a J-1 visa for one year, while post-secondary students can remain in the country for as long as needed to complete their program.
  • Teachers of secondary or primary school can stay up to three years on a J-1 visa, while research scholars and professors at a university or college can remain in the country for up to five years
  • Short-term scholars can remain in the U.S. for up to six months.
  • Physicians participating in a residency or internship can remain in the country for the duration of their program, with duration usually not exceeding seven years.
  • The duration of a J-1 visa for a trainee or intern depends on the program one is participating in, but duration is usually 18 months.
  • Aux pairs can remain in the United States for one year.
  • Camp counselors and summer student workers can stay in the United States for up to four months

Consult with Our J-1 Exchange Visitors Lawyer in Philadelphia

If you or a loved one is applying for a J-1 visa, it is important to speak to our Philadelphia J-1 exchange visitors lawyer at Ellenberg Law Group today. Call us now at 215-790-1682 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation and to learn more about your immigration options.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Request Your Free Consultation

The solutions to your legal needs start with a free consultation so we can understand your situation and let you know your options. Fill out the form below, and a representative from our office will contact you to set a convenient time for you to meet with one of our attorneys.

* All Contact Form Fields are Required

By submitting this form I acknowledge that contacting Ellenberg Law Group, P.C., through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
Contact Form Tab