Close Menu
Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer > Philadelphia K-1 Fiancé Visa Lawyer

Philadelphia K-1 Fiancé Visa Lawyer

As its name suggests, the K-1 fiancé visa is a marriage-based visa that allows foreign nationals to enter the United States in order to marry. A United States citizen must sponsor this visa and once the foreign fiance enters the country, the marriage must take place within 90 days. After the wedding, the foreign national can then apply for lawful permanent resident status and obtain a green card.

Even though a K-1 is considered a non-immigrant visa, the primary purpose is to allow someone to permanently immigrate to the United States. As such, there are many requirements typically associated with immigrant visas. Our Philadelphia K-1 fiancé visa lawyer explains what these are below.

How to Apply for a K-1 Fiancé Visa

The steps to apply for a K-1 visa are as follows:

  • The American citizen must sponsor the foreign fiancé by submitting an I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance, to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the area where the citizen resides.
  • The USCIS will send the petition to the National Visa Center after approving it and the NVC will assign the petition a case number before sending it to the U.S. consulate or embassy where the foreign national lives.
  • After the embassy or consulate receives the petition, it will give specific instructions to the foreign individual. A medical examination and an interview will be required of the foreigner.

Necessary Documents for a K-1 Fiancé Visa

There is a lot of documentation necessary for a K-1 visa. It is important to note that applicants, as well as family members applying for a K-2 visa, should bring the following documentation to their K-1 visa interview:

  • Non-immigrant visa application, one for each applicant
  • A passport that is valid for at least six months after the foreign national has entered the United States
  • The birth certificate of the foreign fiance
  • Any relevant death or divorce certificates from any previous marriages for both the sponsoring American citizen as well as the foreign national
  • The police certificate from the country in which the foreign national lives
  • Proof of a medical examination
  • Evidence of financial support to show the foreign national will not rely on American programs, such as welfare
  • Two passport-style photos
  • Evidence that a legitimate relationship exists between the sponsoring American citizen and the foreign national
  • Payment for all fees associated with the visa

Call Our K-1 Fiancé Visa Lawyer in Philadelphia Today

K-1 visas do bring people together, but they are not easy to obtain. At Ellenberg Law Group, our Philadelphia K-1 fiancé visa lawyer can help you gather the necessary documentation, prepare you for the interview, and assist with the process every step of the way. Call us now at 215-790-1682 or connect with us online to schedule a virtual consultation with our seasoned attorney and to learn more about how we can help with your case.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Request Your Virtual Consultation

The solutions to your legal needs start with a virtual consultation so we can understand your situation and let you know your options. Fill out the form below, and a representative from our office will contact you to set a convenient time for you to meet with one of our attorneys.

* All Contact Form Fields are Required

By submitting this form I acknowledge that contacting Ellenberg Law Group, P.C., through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
Contact Form Tab