Close Menu
Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer > Philadelphia Non-Immigrant Visa Lawyer

Philadelphia Non-Immigrant Visa Lawyer

Millions of people visit the United States without any desire to live here permanently. They should seek a non-immigrant visa. These are temporary visas which allow a person to enter the U.S. for specific reasons for a short amount of time. Non-immigrant visas can still be challenging to get, however. At Ellenberg Law Group, we have worked with many foreign nationals seeking visas to visit family, work, study, conduct business, and receive medical treatment. Contact our Philadelphia non-immigrant visa lawyer to learn more.

Which Non-Immigrant Visa is Right for You?

The United States offers more than 2 dozen non-immigrant visas. Some of the more significant include:

  • B-1: Temporary business. You can come to the U.S. on this visa to settle an estate, negotiate a contract, or consult with business associates. It’s good for 6 months.
  • B-2: Temporary tourist. This visa allows you to enter for the purpose of sightseeing, visiting friends or family, or receiving medical treatment. It is valid for 6 months.
  • E-2: Investors. If you invest substantial capital in a U.S. business, you can seek an E-2 visa. It is good for 2 years and you can seek unlimited extensions.
  • F-1: Academic study. Anyone hoping to study in an academic program should seek the F-1 visa.
  • J-1: Exchange visitors. Those seeking to participate in a cultural exchange can use a J-1 visa.
  • K: Fiancé of a U.S. citizen. You can seek a K visa to come to the U.S. and get married to a U.S. citizen.
  • M-1: Vocational studies. Foreign nationals can study at a technical or vocational school with this visa, but they can’t work.

Many visas allow spouses and unmarried minor children (under 21) to tag along. These derivative visas are numbered slightly differently, so a student on an F-1 visa can seek F-2 visas for their spouse and children.

Some non-immigrant visas are “dual intent” visas. They allow a foreign national to come to the U.S. temporarily but have the option of getting a green card. Dual intent visas include:

  • H-1B visas. These visas are for foreign nationals who work specialty occupations which require a bachelor’s degree or equivalent. An employer must file a petition for you.
  • L visas. These visas are designed for executives, managers, or others with specialized knowledge who work for multinational firms. You can transfer to a U.S. affiliate or subsidiary using this visa and, in the future, seek a green card.
  • O visas. These are for foreign nationals of extraordinary abilities in sports, business, arts, education, and sciences.
  • P visas. Performing artists and athletes can seek a P visa to work temporarily in the U.S.

Choosing the right visa matters considerably. If you hope to seek a green card or want that as an option, then some visas are better than others. You also do not want to get the wrong visa.

Decades of Experience Helping Visitors to the U.S.

Our legal team can help you submit the paperwork for a visa and address any problems which might prevent you from receiving one. Call Ellenberg Law Group today to talk with our Philadelphia non-immigrant visa lawyer.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Request Your Free Consultation

The solutions to your legal needs start with a free consultation so we can understand your situation and let you know your options. Fill out the form below, and a representative from our office will contact you to set a convenient time for you to meet with one of our attorneys.

* All Contact Form Fields are Required

By submitting this form I acknowledge that contacting Ellenberg Law Group, P.C., through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
Contact Form Tab