Close Menu
Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer > Philadelphia Student & Exchange Visa Lawyer

Philadelphia Student & Exchange Visa Lawyer

The United States has countless universities, colleges, vocational, and technical schools. They pride themselves on being open to international students from around the globe. Those hoping to learn in the United States need a visa to legally enter. Using a tourist visa is unacceptable and, in fact, might create problems later if you try to enroll.

Instead, you should find the appropriate visa for your situation. The United States makes several different visas available for students and exchange visitors. Contact Ellenberg Law Group today. Our Philadelphia student & exchange visas lawyer can help you choose which one is right for you and complete the paperwork.

Available Student and Exchange Visas

Students hoping to study full time in the U.S. will need to select either an F or M visa, depending on their situation. Those coming for an exchange will request a J visa:

  • F-1. Academic students can seek an F-1 visa for themselves, which allows them to come to the U.S. to study.
  • F-2. This visa is available for the spouse and children of F-1 visa holders.
  • F-3. Academic students from Canada or Mexico should seek the F-3 visa.
  • M-1. Those studying at a vocational or technical school will request this visa.
  • M-2. The spouse and children of an M-1 visa holder can request this visa to accompany their spouse or parent.
  • M-3. Vocational students from Canada or Mexico can request this visa.
  • J-1. Exchange visitors can seek a J-1 visa to take part in cultural exchange programs. Many types of people seek J-1 visas, such as scholars performing research or trainees here to study short term.
  • J-2. Spouses and unmarried children of a J-1 visa holder can come to the U.S. on a J-2 visa.

To secure an F or M visa, you need to enroll in an institution or program approved by the Student and Visitor Exchange program. You will also need proof that you are financially self-sufficient while in the United States. Our lawyers can assist you in this process.

One common question is whether students can work while in the U.S. on an F or M visa. The answer is complicated. Limited work opportunities might be available, such as on-campus jobs for an F-1 holder. In the student’s second year, the F-1 visa holder might work in an off-campus job. Our lawyers are equipped to answer any questions regarding work authorization. Trying to work illegally can lead to deportation and prevent you from entering the U.S. again in the future, so fully understand your options before arrival.

We strongly encourage all people interested in studying or participating in an exchange program to work with an attorney. Mistakes in the application process can slow down approval, and selecting the wrong visa might create problems.

Contact Us with Questions

Ellenberg Law Group has proudly helped many students come to the United States to study. If you need assistance, please call us. One of our Philadelphia student and exchange visas lawyers will gladly answer your questions and help complete a solid application.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Request Your Free Consultation

The solutions to your legal needs start with a free consultation so we can understand your situation and let you know your options. Fill out the form below, and a representative from our office will contact you to set a convenient time for you to meet with one of our attorneys.

* All Contact Form Fields are Required

By submitting this form I acknowledge that contacting Ellenberg Law Group, P.C., through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
Contact Form Tab