Close Menu
Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer > Philadelphia Types of Visas

Philadelphia Types of Visas

Traveling to the United States as a foreign national requires a visa. The U.S. makes over 20 different visas available, and choosing the correct one is important. Some visas are temporary, allowing a person to stay in the U.S. for a specific purpose for a limited amount of time. Other visas are immigration visas, which allow a person to settle in the U.S. for the purpose of living here permanently. If you need help choosing a visa, please contact a Philadelphia visa lawyer today at Ellenberg Law Group.

Types of Visas

The U.S. grants many types of visas. Below, we look at some of the most important.

Visitor Visas. These are nonimmigrant (temporary) visas which usually last 6 months.

  • B-1: Tourism. Travel, visit friends or family, or receive medical treatment.
  • B-2: Business. Negotiate a contract, consult with business associates, or deal with estate matters.

Investor Visas. To promote investment in the U.S., our government offers the following visas.

  • An investor from a country with which the U.S. has a trade treaty can seek this visa if they invest substantial capital. This is a nonimmigrant visa.
  • Investors can seek this immigrant visa if they make large investments in a U.S. business or a regional center.

Immigrant Work Visas. These visas are for permanent workers to become permanent residents.

  • People of extraordinary abilities in the arts, sciences, business, athletics, or education can qualify, as can multinational managers and executives or outstanding professors/researchers.
  • Workers holding advanced degrees or those with exceptional abilities in business, arts or sciences can qualify.
  • This visa is for professionals, skilled workers, and some others.
  • This is a special immigrant category for certain individuals, like religious workers and employees of foreign service posts.

Nonimmigrant Work Visas. There are many nonimmigrant work visas which allow someone to come and work in the U.S. Many are “dual intent” visas, meaning they last for a definite amount of time, but the recipient can often apply for a green card.

  • H1-B. This visa is for those working in a specialty occupation which requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent. A labor certification is required.
  • A manager, executive, or specialized professional can transfer within a multinational company.
  • This visa is for those with extraordinary abilities in their fields.

Student & Exchange Visitor Visas. The U.S. makes educational opportunities available by awarding several nonimmigrant visas.

  • Academic student visa. Those entering an academic program can receive this visa.
  • Vocational student visa. This visa is for those coming to study in a technical or vocational school.
  • Exchange visitor visa. Someone participating in a cultural exchange program can receive a J1 visa. Many professors and researchers obtain this visa.

Dependent Visas. Family members and fiancés can obtain visas to come live with their family in the U.S.

  • This is a nonimmigrant visa giving a person the right to come to the U.S. to marry a citizen.
  • This visa is for dependent children of the K1 recipient.
  • CR-1 and IR-1. The spouse of a U.S. citizen can obtain one of these visas and work authorization.
  • Unmarried children (under age 21) of a U.S. citizen can receive this visa.

Give Us a Call

Our Philadelphia visa lawyer will happily help anyone seeking a visa to come to the U.S.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Request Your Free Consultation

The solutions to your legal needs start with a free consultation so we can understand your situation and let you know your options. Fill out the form below, and a representative from our office will contact you to set a convenient time for you to meet with one of our attorneys.

* All Contact Form Fields are Required

By submitting this form I acknowledge that contacting Ellenberg Law Group, P.C., through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
Contact Form Tab