Close Menu
Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer > > Foreign Media Press Visa > Your Guide to Immigration Visas for Members of Foreign Media

Your Guide to Immigration Visas for Members of Foreign Media


A lot of news gets broken in the United States. For a number of different reasons, members of the foreign press could be assigned to report in our country. There is a specialized immigration option available for foreign media members. As explained by the U.S. Department of State, “media (I) visas are for representatives of the foreign media, including members of the press, radio, film, and print industries. Here, our Philadelphia foreign media visa attorney provides a comprehensive guide to the immigration process.

An I Visa is a Temporary Work Visa for Foreign Media Representatives 

The I visa is a nonimmigrant visa specifically designed for members of foreign media. Among other things, this includes journalists, reporters, and support professionals working in the media industry. It is a non-immigrant employment visa that allows representatives of foreign media to enter the United States on a temporary basis to engage in their profession.

 The Applicant Must Meet Personal Requirements 

To be eligible for an I visa, the applicant must meet certain personal requirements. These include:

  • Being a member of a foreign media organization or an independent journalist with a contract to cover an event in the U.S.
  • Holding a passport from a country with which the United States maintains a treaty or agreement permitting the issuance of I visas.
  • Demonstrating strong ties to their home country, such as family, property, or a job, to ensure their intention to return after their visa expires.
  • Being able to prove sufficient financial support for the period of time spent in the United States. 

The Purpose Must Be Collection/Dissemination of News and/or Information 

The purpose of the I visa holder’s stay in the United States must be related to their role in the media industry. They must be engaged in the collection, production, or dissemination of news and information to the public. Qualifying projects can include working on news articles, documentaries, or other journalistic endeavors.

 A Foreign Media Visa May Be Issued for Five Years 

An I visa may be issued for a period of up to five years, with the possibility of extensions in certain circumstances. The duration of the visa depends on the nature and scope of the work the applicant will be conducting in the United States.

 An I Visa Holder May Bring Spouse and Unmarried Child Under Age of 21 

An I visa holder is allowed to bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to accompany them during their stay in the United States. These family members will be granted derivative I visas. However, an unmarried child who is over the age of 21 cannot join a foreign media member in the United States based on an I visa.

 Contact Our Philadelphia Immigration Lawyer for Foreign Media Members Today

At Ellenberg Law Group, our Philadelphia immigration attorney for foreign media members is an experienced and effective advocate for clients. If you have any questions about applying for a visa as a member of foreign media, we are here to help. Reach out to us by phone or contact us online to set up your fully confidential consultation. We provide immigration law services to foreign media members in Philadelphia and throughout Southeast Pennsylvania.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Request Your Virtual Consultation

The solutions to your legal needs start with a virtual consultation so we can understand your situation and let you know your options. Fill out the form below, and a representative from our office will contact you to set a convenient time for you to meet with one of our attorneys.

* All Contact Form Fields are Required

By submitting this form I acknowledge that contacting Ellenberg Law Group, P.C., through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
Contact Form Tab